Let’s start by understanding what is a pest? A pest is an insect or animal that cause problems or make your life miserable or disrupt the natural environment.
Type of pest include:
Are pests always pests?
In many cases, the answer is NO.. For example, termites have a beneficial role to play in the forest environment by breaking down dead wood but are a serious pest in urban environments.
So, why do they become pests?
- Sometimes we move into or take over, their natural environment. E.g, we build our houses where termites exist as part of the natural environment
- Sometimes we provide the right environment for the pests to flourish.E.g, we remove some of their natural enemies, or we provide a more favorable living environment for them to flourish
Generally, there are some common conditions that favor pests infestation in our premises:
Where suitable food is a lot and easy to access pest can thrive.
Pests that live in colonies will often recruit others to feed on food, so a good food source is very attractive and can build up a large infestation very quickly.
Ants, rodents, and termites are good examples of pests which show recruiting behavior once a good food source is found.
Different pests are attracted to different types of food.
Just like us, they need water to survive.
water can be necessary for the development of certain life stages. Mosquitoes for example whose larvae develop in water.
Water also used by certain insects to maintain a suitable environment for them to live. For instance, termites have no hard exoskeleton they will desiccate under dry condition. Hence, they will seek out for water or moisture to regulate the relative humidity inside their colonies. So clever.
Insects are cold-blooded animals and so are more active under warmth conditions.
In cold weather, many pests will come indoors where it’s normally warmer for them. the life cycle of insects is also completed more quickly under warm conditions leading to a faster build-up of pests populations.
Just like us, pets also need a safe place to live. Many insects are small and vulnerable. When they are in open areas they are easy prey for predators looking for food. Hence, they will seek out harbourages that are safe and secure.
Rodents are shy creatures and lust like insects, they will avoid open areas and seek out protected areas and burrows in which to live.
MODIFYING CONDITIONS TO PREVENT INFESTATION
The best management approach is to PREVENT PEST INFESTATION IN THE 1ST PLACE.
Cleaner, tidier and hygienic practices are a vital approach to be applied.
How to minimize the ability of food to ensure pest infestation in our place at a minimum and acceptable level?
- Keep all potential food in sealed containers
- Remove food scraps and rubbish frequently
- Clean surfaces to remove oil scraps, grease, and oil
- Seal entrances such as doors and windows where food is stored
- It is also good practice to inspect foodstuffs when it arrives to prevent the introduction of pests from the food or the packaging materials.
To minimize the availability of water
- Do not leave any water lying around and clean up any spills
- Fix any leaking taps or pipes and ensure drains are clear and not blocked
- Remove any freestanding water that may have accumulated in containers as frequently as possible
- Rectify any damp areas in the buildings
To minimize the availability of warmth
- Ensure entrance to buildings are properly sealed to prevent pests from entering from a colder area outside
- Store food in the fridge or cool rooms
- Inspect warmth hidden areas such as cracks and crevices regularly
- and for us in Malaysia, this is a more challenging task due to the tropical climate in our country
To minimize the availability of shelter
- Seal crack and crevices
- Reduce clutter by regular cleaning
- Remove rubbish frequently
- Regular inspect storerooms and other areas where pets may hide
Let’s wrap up our discussion today. Many things we have learned from this interesting topic.
As usual. For a professional and effective pest control program, please liaise with our team at Sanicare Hygiene Services Sdn Bhd . Or call us NOW at 1 800 88 8771
Till we meet again guys.
Note: Credit to Bayer Learning Lab. Please subscribe with them for further information and online training.
One Reply to “Conditions Favoring Pest Infestation”